Granola

I was telling a friend of mine that I had wanted to find a granola recipe that I could do regularly as it's so expensive in the store. And I really don't want all the nuts and fruits that go with it. I'd rather put what I want with it.

So today when I went grocery shopping I purchased the ingredients I didn't have specifically honey, cinnamon and vanilla. (I also picked up flour which I ran out of the last time I made pizza which was probably a month a go lol.)

I have a few things that I need to change with but I think it's a working recipe.

Recipe

Preheat the oven at 325 degrees.
Combine 2 cups rolled oats, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
Combine 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil, 1/4 cup hone, 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Whisk until blended well.
Pour dry mixture over wet and mix well. Using your hands to mix if necessary.
Pour mixture on to a baking sheet (I used a cooking spray on the pan before hand.)
Bake for 10 miniutes and flip.
Bake for an additional 5 miniutes and flip.
Bake for an additional 10 minutes. (This is where I went wrong, I think this is too long for this recipe with out any nuts in it the granola got a bit too dark for my taste. So I would watch it from the 5 miniute flip and you may not even need it.)
Cool and store in air tight container.

After I took it out of the oven I added some additional honey as it wasn't sticking together like I wanted. I didn't want loose oats, I wanted more clumps. I put the mixture in a bowl and put it in the freeze. That was probably a mistake as it solidified pretty quickly. But knowing it was the honey that was making things stick together I filled a bowl with hot water and put the bowl with the granola in it to melt the honey a little on the sides so I could get it out of the bowl.

I then crumbled the granola onto the baking sheet and used my meat mallet to break it up a little more. I probably did it a bit too much as it's a bit too loose, but it isn't as bad as it was before.

I then put three heaping tablespoons into snack sized Ziploc bags. It yielded 11 servings at about 136 Calories.

Even though it's a bit burnt it's still good. I'm happy with the recipe and will try again when this batch is gone for a less time.

Dragon Hunting

Published on September 30, 2015

First Public Writing

Published on September 30, 2015